Monday, September 21, 2009

Out of This World

As I sat doing my devotions today a song came on the radio. It was by Keith Urban. It was a love song. I'm sure it was written as a song for a romantic couple. But as I listened a little closer to the words my mind began to wander.

You are always in my heart
Always on my mind
When it all becomes too much
You're never far behind
And there's no one who comes close to you
Could ever take your place
Cause only you could love me that way.

As I listened to these words I realised that this is the way we as saved Christians should be loving each other. I know that for me personally I do not love people like that on a daily basis. I don't hate anyone really, but I for sure don't feel that if I was in heaven with a lot of the people in my church and community that I would feel an undying love and bond with all of them.
When God says that we are all one body with different functional parts, I think that most of us focus more on our different functions than on the fact that we are all one body. We truly can't cut off our limbs and say "I don't need you". I think that all of us at one point or another are guilty of cutting someone off and I'm sure a lot of us have felt the pain of being the one who has been cut off.
I want to write to you from a place that is wonderful. A place that doesn't know earthly standards. From a frame of mind where the labels that have been placed on you do not exist and therefore mean nothing.
I need you more than you could ever know. You are always in my heart, always on my mind. I need your love and support and specific talents to help me make it through this life. I cannot imagine living this life on my own. I've tried it and it doesn't work. No matter how many differences we may have, you are still the one I love the most. Only you can love me the way you do. I wouldn't be able to replace you. You are unique. I need you in my life. I need you by my side. I can't imagine heaven being a wonderful place without you being there. You are beautiful and you are what is going to make heaven beautiful. The only way that I am going to be the amazing bride that Jesus deserves when he comes back is if you are standing there waiting with me. I cannot function without you.
With all of that being said, I take full responsibility for your fulfillment in life. I promise to find my function in this body and do it with all my heart. I promise to trust you. I promise to lean on you and include you in my life. I promise to never withhold a compliment or praise from you. I promise to encourage you and to deal quickly with any misunderstandings we may have.
Most of all I promise to love you. We need to love each other as much as Christ has loved us, because there will be no fooling him when he returns. He will know if we have been loving each other or not. The only way that we will be a spotless bride is if we throw out our labels and standards and the things that separate and alienate us. We must become one. And there is no one that I would rather join together with than you.
Another line of that song is "When I say that it's forever, you understand". I thank God for giving me you... and that we will be together forever. Praise God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment